These Cajun Shrimp Tacos with Chili Lime Cream are a little bit spicy and super easy. Add these to a taco bar, or serve them with small tortillas as an appetizer.
Taco night used to be simple beef tacos in corn tortillas. No one in my family would have ever thought of Cajun Shrimp Tacos with Chili Lime Cream. But I am so glad that we have branched out!
As I've aged, my tastes have expanded. Vince and I were at a party many years ago where these Cajun Shrimp were served as appetizers. We loved them so much that we turned them into a taco filling!
How to Make the Cajun Shrimp Tacos
Mix up the Chili Lime Cream first, or even early in the day, then refrigerate. This sauce goes together quickly; it's basically just some seasonings mixed into sour cream. The fun part of this sauce is that you can use it on any of your favorite tacos or tostadas.
Before you heat the tortillas or cook the shrimp, grate the cheese and dice the toppings you choose.
Next, heat up the tortillas so everything is ready to go once the shrimp is cooked. Shrimp cooks quickly so it's a Gr8 choice for a weeknight meal. Simply mix together the seasonings, toss the shrimp in and then sauté. The shrimp will cook in about 5 minutes. How easy is that?
Any type of tacos are a Gr8 dish to make for family or for company. Set up a bar with all the toppings and everyone makes their own custom meal. It's easy, relaxed and even the picky eaters will be happy!
And if you are in the mood, make your own tortillas for these Cajun Shrimp Tacos, it's easier than you think!
Cajun Shrimp Tacos
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to your taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded cheese, I used a mixture of cheddar and jack
- 1 avocado, cut in chunks
Chili Lime Cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 drops Tapatio or your favorite pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
For Taco Filling:
- In a small dish mix together the chili powder, paprika, salt, black pepper and cayenne. Set aside.
- Put the shrimp into a medium sized bowl and toss with the chili powder mixture until all the shrimp are coated.
- Heat the tortillas either in a dry skillet or directly over the gas flame of the stove or grill and then wrap in a towel to keep warm.
- Heat the oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the garlic starts to release its fragrance.
- Add the shrimp and sauté until opaque in the center, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with the warm tortillas and the toppings.
For Chili Lime Cream:
- Mix all seven ingredients together until well combined.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve on top of your favorite tacos or tostadas!