Beef Satay is a Southeast Asian dish of strips of beef threaded onto a skewer and served with a smooth and spicy peanut sauce.
Popular throughout Southeast Asia and Indonesia, satay is strips of skewered, grilled meat eaten with a fragrant dipping sauce. This recipe of grilled beef satays is an appetizer, but it can be adapted to be a wonderful meal served with brown rice and a refreshing cucumber salad (recipe below).
The peanut sauce goes well with many Asian dishes so be sure to make extra sauce!
Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce
- 2 pounds flank or sirloin steak, trimmed and cut against the grain into strips about 2 1/2" long and 1/4" thick
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 10-12 wooden skewers
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon thai fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon chopped peanuts, toasted
- english cucumber, Peeled if you prefer and sliced into 1/8" thick slices
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- pinch of salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a medium-sized glass bowl, add beef and teriyaki sauce and gently stir.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the bowl and stir to blend.
- Refrigerate and marinate for 2-4 hours.
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for about an hour.
- Preheat a gas grill on high heat.
- Lightly oil the grates with wrapped paper towels soaked with vegetable oil.
- Drain the beef from the marinade and shake off excess marinade.
- Thread several slices of the meat onto each skewer, loosely packed.
- Place the skewers on the grill and cook until the meat shows grill marks and stops sticking to the grill, about 2 minutes.
- Flip skewers over onto the other side and cook until the meat is browned. Do not overcook.
- Transfer to a platter and let skewers rest about 2 more minutes before serving.
- Combine all ingredients (except cilantro and peanuts) in a small bowl and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Place the sauce in a serving bowl and garnish with the cilantro and chopped peanuts.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
Beef Satay and Peanut Sauce recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse.