Pineapple Rice Recipe
This sweet, spicy, nutty rice is delicious served with fish, chicken or pork.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth, or water
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice, if using canned pineapple instead of fresh, use the juice from the can for the recipe
- 1 cup basmati rice, or your favorite white rice
- 1 heaping cup chopped fresh pineapple, ~ 8 ounces of chopped pineapple cut into 1/4" chunks, (canned crushed pineapple can also be used)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 - 2 green onions, light and dark parts chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted (See Gr8 Tip below)
Add the chicken broth and pineapple juice to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
Add the rice, pineapple, and the red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Place the lid on the pot, turn the heat to medium low and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes. Check the rice at 20 minutes and continue to cook if there is still liquid that hasn't absorbed.
Remove from the heat and stir in the green onions.
Either stir the macadamia nuts into the rice or sprinkle them on top of the serving bowl.
To toast raw macadamia nuts:
- Preheat oven to 325℉.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment or foil.
- Toast the nuts for 5-8 minutes. Watch carefully and take out of the oven when golden brown.
Gr8 Make-Ahead Tip:
- The rice can be made up to a day ahead of time. Prepare through step 3, cover and keep in the refrigerator.
- To serve at room temperature, take out of the refrigerator about 45 minutes ahead of time. Add the macadamia nuts before serving.
- To serve warm, add a few dabs of butter to the rice, cover with foil and warm in a 325℉ oven for about 15 minutes. Remove foil, add the macadamia nuts and stir.