On top of your favorite Mexican food dishes, or with chips as an appetizer, Salsa Verde gives everything a delicious zing of flavor!
- 3/4 pound Tomatillos, available in most super markets
- 1/4+ cup water
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 Serrano chiles or 1 jalapeño chile, or more, depending on your heat tolerance
- 1/4 of a small onion, then cut that in fourths
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla Chips
Peel the husks off the tomatillos.
Discard the husks.
In the bowl of your food processor or blender place the cilantro, chiles, onion and salt and coarsely chop.
Add the tomatillos and coarsely chop. With the motor running, slowly add water to desired consistency.
Adjust seasonings to taste.
Gr8 Serving Ideas:
- I like to peel the tomatillos under running water. They have a sticky coating and the water makes it easier to peel.
- Cilantro: I use majority leaves, but the stems don’t bother me….It’s all getting chopped and pulsed! I taste test it with a tortilla chip while the salsa is still in the blender or food processor bowl. That way, if I need to adjust the seasoning, I can adjust before I transfer it into my serving bowl. If too spicy, add more tomatillos. If not spicy enough, add more chile!
- Use as a marinade. If using this way, discard the salsa after you remove the meat.
- Add to guacamole.
- Brush on chicken or fish before grilling.
- Pour into slow cooker with chicken.
- Serve with Kyle’s Grilled Fish Tacos.