Pin Recipe Save this RecipeSaved!
Please leave a rating!
Caramelized Onion Jam
Gr8 to top steaks or prime rib. Also delicious as an appetizer, see Gr8 Tips.
Servings: 8 meat toppings
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ¼ pounds onion, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup whiskey (I used bourbon), or apple cider
- 2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the sliced onions and toss to coat evenly in the butter-olive oil mixture.
Stir in thyme, honey and pepper.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. This should take about 12 - 20 minutes, depending on the pan you are using and the moisture content of the onions.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the whiskey and white balsamic vinegar. (Remove the pan so the alcohol doesn't ignite!)
Return the pan to the stove and turn to high heat, bring to a boil then turn down to simmer.
Simmer until the moisture is reduced and mixture thickens to a jam like consistency, about 20-30 minutes.
Gr8 Do-Ahead Tip:
This can be made, cooled, then stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- This is best when served over steaks with a horseradish cream sauce.
- Serve this on top of crostini with some brie or a slice of pear.
- Or add it to your cheese board.